La Société Jersiaise







A granite sculpture to commemorate the Channiland ferry rescue has been completed and is due to be unveiled later this month - four years to the day since the rescue took place.

It took sculptor Derek Tristram three months to find a suitable piece of stone because he was searching for a block without flaws. He eventually opted for a piece of Jersey granite which used to be part of the Harbour wall.



Mr Tristram's design for the memorial - a pair of clasped hands - was chosen by the Jersey Public Sculpture Trust, who initiated the project. The idea was first mooted by trust member John Christensen, who suggested that it would be an appropriate way to commemorate an event in which a disaster was averted and the outcome was a happy one.



The five-foot sculpture will be sited on the Corbiere headland overlooking the site of the rescue of passengers from the ferry Saint-Malo. and has been funded by the Harbours and Airport Committee. Pat Carter, the chairman of the Public Sculpture Trust, said: 'This is an example of how the trust can work successfully with Stales committees.'

Mr Tristram has worked on the sculpture for three months, using both traditional and modern methods. 'The clasped hands are an age-old image which instantly comes to mind whenever one considers lifesaving,' he said. 'It signifies friendship and camaraderie.'

The official unveiling ceremony is due to take place on 17 April.

JEP 2/4/1997



During the morning of Monday April 17th 1995 whilst on
passage from Jersey to Sark, the French catamaran "Saint-Malo"
struck a rock known as Le Frouquie, 900 metres north of
La Corbière Lighthouse.Visibility was good at the time, but
with a Spring tide ebbing to the west and a westerly Force 5
wind, the sea conditions near Corbière were moderate to rough.

Emergency services responded promptly and nearby ships gave
assistance. All 307 passengers and crew were saved from the
partially submerged vessel.

This memorial is erected in thanksgiving and as a tribute to
the rescue, which with the help of God and of amany strong
arms, ensured the safe return of all on board.



Statue unveiled to mark ferry rescue

A ferry sailing past Corbière yesterday provided a fitting backdrop for the unveiling of the statue to commemorate the Channiland rescue in 1995.

Strong wind and freezing rain chilled a crowd of about 100 people who were there to witness the event, reminding them how lucky passengers were two years ago when the weather was just mild enough for a successful rescue.

Survivors Peter and Mel Knight shook hands with sculptor Derek Tristram in a gesture echoing the shape of the memorial. They praised the emergency services for their work on that Easter Monday when the Channiland catamaran Saint-Malo hit La Frouquie rock 900 metres off Corbiere.



Former Senator Tony Chinn formally unveiled the statue, which was initiated by the Jersey Public Sculpture Trust after a suggestion by John Christensen. Mr Chinn was vice-president of the Harbours and Airport Committee at the time of the rescue and the late John Le Fondré was president.

During his speech, Mr Chinn paid tribute to all those who played a part in the rescue, which he said was a significant moment in Jersey history and a sobering reminder that routine journeys can still be dangerous.

Peter Falla, the captain of the seacat Isle of Man, was singled out for his 'remarkable feat of seamanship' in having diverted his vessel to shelter the stricken ferry.

Among others mentioned were former Harbourmaster Captain Roy Bullen, Graeme Best of Jersey Radio who helped to co-ordinate the rescue, the States and honorary police, the ambulance service, consultant surgeon Paul Clifford and the Hospital Staff.

The skippers of the many vessels which came to help, including the Havelet, Solidor, Condor 8 and the Tridents, were thanked as was Channel Island Air Search, air traffic control and the volunteers who turned up on a bank holiday to man the phones.

The Dean, the Very Rev John Seaford, led a silent prayer, and Harbourmaster Captain Brian Nibbs and Assistant Harbourmaster - Operations Mike Holley removed the Jersey flag that till then had covered the memorial.

Jersey Evening Post 18/4/1997




R'tou ès Statues | Back to Statues



La Société Jersiaise

R'tou à la page d'siez-mé | Back to home page